Thursday, November 13, 2008

LITTLE BY LITTLE A RIVER GROWS



Kabul River


We shouldn’t allow the fumes of cheaper gasoline to go to our heads too soon.

The tide has gone out on high prices, but you can bet that when the tide returns it will bring in more expensive fish to fry.

(I’ve got to work on my metaphors.)

The petroleum companies think that they are lolling us into thinking that we can now put the brakes on developing alternative sources to slow down and end our addiction and dependence on petroleum.

“Lower the price…make them believe that the worst is over…then they won’t go green…just yet.”

But we should not swallow the bait on these wily hooks.
(I guess I have extended an already obtuse metaphor.)

Except for trees, the world probably depends on petroleum the most.

[I read this sentence again today, September 15, 2009, and realize that I was ambiguous.
What I should have written is something like the this:
"The world's dependence upon petroleum is only second to its need for trees."But this may be inaccurate, too.
Maybe we DO use more petroleum than we use trees.
Let me know.]

Plastic, plastic, plastic.

All of us on the planet must conserve.

Every moment that we can.

What do I really need on this earth?


To prevent what happens in Lord Byron’s poem called Darkness, we must get off of the carbon path.

Sooner and not Later.

Minds the equal of Edison and Einstein are needed.

American ingenuity CAN save the planet…

And the ECONOMY!

Recycle.

Turn off the lights, the TV, and computer when not being used.

One of the few Farsi proverbs I learned while living in Afghanistan is this one (and I am spelling the words the way that I remember hearing them spoken, but I‘m sure I‘ve got the words horribly misspelled…but oh, I just found the correct words online…but I‘ll still write my recollection first):

“Darya darya qatra mesha.”
OR
“Little by little a river grows.”

And the correct words are:
“Qatra qatra darya mesha."


Neither Rome, the pyramids…

Nor anything…

Was ever built in one day.


But we should get on the stick SOON for this one.



IT'S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES



No comments: