Tuesday, December 23, 2008

TO SHAKE OR NOT TO SHAKE





Handshakes.

What do they mean?

I’m thinking about the quality of handshakes.

A good handshake for me means that there is a certain amount of pressure when another person shakes my hand.

Not a hard squeeze.

Just some firm squeezing.

We don’t actually “shake” our hands.

If we shook them, then there would not be this issue of how firmly or softly our hands shook…
I mean squeezed.

Can we judge a person on the basis of his or her handshake?

I personally dislike soft, limp (clammy?) handshakes….

From men or women.

But especially from men.

When the hand shaker gives me a limp shake, I think to myself:

“Excuse me, don’t you like me?”

Or

“Do you have a guilty conscience?”

Or

“If you don’t mean it, don’t shake it.”

I suppose that I am being a bit silly and hypersensitive.

But I’ve been wondering about this subject for some time now.

My own conclusions?

I don’t trust persons whose handshakes are soft and weak.

Why shake hands at all if your grip is going to be limp and weak?

Anyway, for hygienic reasons, I no longer shake hands.

I give fist bumps.


IT’S NOT THE SHEIKH STUPID!

No comments: