Sunday, December 21, 2014

DOWN HERE OUT THERE AND INSIDE THE SOUL




*

The final mystery is oneself. When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens star by star, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?”


Oscar Wilde



I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.”

George W. Bush






http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2014/12/19/after-a-hardware-failure-the-kepler-spacecraft-finds-a-second-life-and-an-important-new-exoplanet/



*

Humans.

Fish.

Exoplanets.

*

My dad did a lot of fishing.

A whole heck of a lot of fishing.

Some trout stayed in dark holes inside the deeper parts of the river, but they didn't escape his piscatorial acumen.

I was the netter, but I mostly spent my time climbing on the cactus-laden mountains.

There were very few other humans where dad fished (and I explored) because of a pulley that we rode to get across the river when it was too deep to walk across.

Dad had his fish and I had Nature.

All to ourselves.

*

I didn't pay much attention to the heavens back then.

Pine trees, mountains, and the river had much more relevance than the stars and planets above.

Space travel and outer space were not in the picture.

It was here on earth that mattered most.

We weren't concerned about our carbon footprints, just our feet.

The word terrorism never crossed our lips.

Hands held fishing poles instead of iPhones and iPads.
IT'S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES!

































No comments: