Monday, October 13, 2014

THE FIVE SENSES



Of any Flower by Dylan Thomas


    Hourly I sigh

For all things are leaf-like

    And cloud-like.


    Flowerly I die,

For all things are grief-like

    And shroud-like.










Humans have a multitude of senses. Sight (ophthalmoception), hearing (audioception), taste (gustaoception), smell (olfacoception or olfacception), and touch (tactioception) are the five traditionally recognized.



Which of the five senses do I value most?

What do I feel (i.e. touch)?

What can I see?

What do I taste?

What do I hear?

At this point I am like governor Rick Perry because I am at a loss to remember the fifth sense.

I know, Mr. Perry failed to remember a third thing, so my problem is a little more difficult than his, even though I haven't had any back surgery.

I can type away about other things such as the weather until I remember that other sense.

Well, the weather is cool today.

Last night it was gusty.

Now, which of my senses do I need to use for the above two observations?

Yes, that's right:

Feeling and Hearing.

I am still not getting that fifth sense yet.

I know that I just ate two potatoes.

Which sense did I use?

That's correct, my sense of taste.

Ah!

The fifth sense just came to me:

What do I smell?

So, which of the five senses do I value most?

Well, first, I can say that of the five, I value least the sense of touch.

How often do I need to touch something to know what it is or to appreciate it?

Not often.
 
Next, although I like to see nature, a fine painting, and watch movies, I suppose that of the remaining senses my sense of sight is less important to me than my senses of taste and hearing.

Now, as you know, smell and taste go hand in hand---or rather nose and tongue---(although this is a confusing conjunction, it makes more sense than saying tongue in nose).

So, I cannot eliminate taste or smell, because they rely upon each other.

I dearly love to hear music, birds singing, children laughing, etc.

 But I think my senses of smell and taste have more value for me than hearing.

So far here is the order of the senses and the ones that I value most:
 
1. Taste and smell
2. Sight
3. Hearing
4. Touch

It would be a terrible dilemma to be told that if I wanted to live I would have to eliminate any of my senses.

As I have already told you, I could live without my sense of touch.

I am thankful that I still have all of my senses, and I regret that I lost my marbles many years ago.

(A little joke.

My father gave me and my brother each a big bag of beautiful marbles when we were young.

I do not remember what I did with mine.)


 
 

IT'S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES OIL AND THE FIVE SENSES!











No comments: