Sunday, February 08, 2009

JUST PASSING THROUGH

I've had an interesting life.

Listening right now to Crosby, Stills & Nash sing Teach Your Children…and now Helpless…I am reminded of this.

What an exciting time it was back in the late 60’s and early ‘70’s.

War, revolution, brown rice, and pot smoke were in the air.

I was on the inside looking out, because I was attending the University of Colorado from 1966 until 1971.

Boulder was a ferment of protest.

Street people were not just hippies, because later on---after I graduated from CU---I basically walked and lived on the streets, to know and feel what life was all about.

My mind was nurtured on the Great books, but my soul learned about life on the mean, strange, and exciting streets of the world.

People helped to soften the hardness and brighten the darkness on those mean streets.

I stayed sober and intoxicated with the sights and sounds on those mean streets.

I can remember doing handstands on soft grass as the Rolling Stones played 2000 Light Years from Home.

I can remember when I threw a Frisbee to Elizabeth from Mahtomedi, Minnesota in a cemetery while Kenny Loggins sang Return to Pooh Corner.

I can remember the sweet aroma of Sandalwood in the Volkswagen bus of Diane, Richard and little Richie from Connecticut...on their way to start a new life on a commune…

Just passing through.






No comments: