Monday, June 17, 2019

Basophobia








Basophobia, n. the fear and/or dislike of falling down, or the inability to stand.

Drop the B and add an s after the first a.
That's my phobia.
Assophobia.
Yes, that's right, a fear of falling on (or onto) my ass.
And if the word ass offends you, then you might also be offended by grass and brass.

*

I once had a student who jumped down my throat because I used the word ass in class.
I forget now why, but I would sometimes tell a student he or she wasn't a dumb ass, just a smart ass. Boy, that got a bad reaction.
I know---it wasn't appropriate---but it felt right at the time, and it felt good saying it.
Anyway, I told the class that the word ass is in the Bible many times (*see bottom of the page).
They were aghast...or agassed.

*

Another time I said Amen in class after something I had said, and a student asked why I said amen.
I told him it meant truth.
He didn't believe me.
I told him I would bring the evidence to class the next day. I did.
He wasn't too impressed, and still seemed skeptical.

*

President Trump wasn't too shy about saying shithole (country):

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump expressed frustration behind closed doors with people coming to the US from "shithole countries," sources told CNN on Thursday.

One of the sources briefed on the Thursday Oval Office meeting with lawmakers confirmed Trump asked, "Why do we want all these people from 'shithole countries' coming here?"


Putting ass in front of hole is probably worse than putting shit in front of hole.
Or maybe not.
What do you think?
Both sound bad, but each is a horse of a different color.
I like to mix metaphors.

*

Euphemisms make the original word(s) sound bad, inappropriate, taboo.

We say bottom, rear end, and butt instead of ass. But even saying butt sounds bad. I'm not opposed to these substitutes.

Damn it...I mean darn it...I almost fell off my chair.



*Naves Topical Index
Ass
Domesticated
Used:

For carrying burdens
Genesis 42:262 Samuel 16:1Isaiah 30:6

For drawing chariots
Isaiah 21:7

For food
2 Kings 6:25

Not to be yoked with an ox
Deuteronomy 22:10
Rest on SabbathExodus 23:12
Bridles forProverbs 26:3
Jawbone of, used by Samson with which to slay PhilistinesJudges 15:15-17
Firstlings of, redeemedExodus 13:13Exodus 34:20

Smith's Bible Dictionary
Ass
Five Hebrew names of the genus Asinus occur in the Old Testament.
  1. Chamor denotes the male domestic ass.
  2. Athon , the common domestic she-ass.
  3. Air , the name of a wild ass, which occurs (Genesis 32:1549:11)
  4. Pere , a species of wild ass mentioned (Genesis 12:16)
  5. Arod occurs only in (Job 39:5) but in what respect it differs from the Pere is uncertain. The ass in eastern countries is a very different animal from what he is in western Europe. The most noble and honorable amongst the Jews were wont to be mounted on asses. (With us the ass is a symbol of stubbornness and stupidity, while in the East it is especially remarkable for its patience, gentleness, intelligence, meek submission and great power of endurance."
    L. Abbott. The color is usually a reddish brown, but there are white asses, which are much prized. The ass was the animal of peace as the horse was the animal of war; hence the appropriateness of Christ in his triumphal entry riding on an ass. The wild ass is a beautiful animal.
    ED.) Mr. Lavard remarks that in fleetness the wild ass (Asinus hemippus) equals the gazelle and to overtake it is a feat which only one or two of the most celebrated mares have been known to accomplish.

Webster's 1828 Dictionary
Ass
'ASSnoun [Latin asinus; Gr. an ear.]
1. A quadruped of the equine genus. This animal has long slouching ears, a short mane, and a tail covered with long hairs at the end. He is usually of an ash color, with a black bar across the shoulders. The tame or domestic ass is patient to stupidity, and carries a heavy burden. He is slow, but very sure footed, and for this reason very useful on rough steep hills.
2. A dull, heavy, stupid fellow; a dolt.



I'TS ABOUT RENEWABLE ENERGY

No comments: