Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A COMET AND A FARMHOUSE



In the winter of 1973 an artist friend invited me to live in a farmhouse in Longmont, Colorado.
I was walking down a country road to get to the farmhouse called Innisfree.
I was wearing my warm vest made from the fur of a beaver.
I suppose it was partly because I was wearing this fur vest that I was not attacked by a charging Doberman pinscher.
He started running after me and I started to run.
Then I stopped in my tracks.
This surprised and disoriented the snarling canine.
He stopped his charge and retreated.
I began walking slowly again to the farmhouse.
Innisfree had about 8 bedrooms, and it was in its huge kitchen where the only warmth was to be found, because there was no other heat in the huge farmhouse.
It was this same winter when people got all excited about the Comet Kohoutek appearing in the sky.
It never did appear.
One of President Nixon's more memorable lines was when he said "No comet" after he was asked to comment on Kohoutek.
Ha! Ha!
Here is the poem called The Lake Isle Of Innisfree by William Butler Yeats:

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree
And a small cabin build there of clay and wattles made
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
And I shall have some peace there
for peace comes dropping slow
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings.
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow
And evening full of the linnet's wings.
I will arise and go now
for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore
While I stand on the roadway or on the pavements grey.

IT'S THE OIL STUPID!

No comments: