Friday, March 28, 2008

ALLIGATORS BEES AND GOLF BALLS



Seeing an alligator on T.V. walking across a golf course (right in front of the golfer!) made me start thinking about some of the unusual sights and experiences I've had in my life.
There haven't been a lot of them.
I'll list them below with as much brevity as possible.

1. I came to my garden apartment one afternoon and there was a white towel on my couch.
It looked just like Richard Nixon.
(One night on David Letterman's show a xerox machine copied a pile of spaghetti.
The squashed blob looked just like Richard Nixon.)

2. I saw an old dog sleeping (or dead?) on a pile of burning embers when I was in New Delhi.
It was a cold day.

3. The oldest son of a large family (who was "crashing" at my garden apartment) put a cast on his leg and went home to ask his parents for money since he couldn't work.
There was nothing wrong with his leg.

4. A friend was walking in the foothills of Boulder when (I'm not sure how many) wild dogs wanted to attack him.
My friend jumped upside down and started walking on his hands.
The dogs left.

5. I met a family---Diane, Richard and little Richie (and their two black cats Plato and Socrates) who had gone to the Woodstock Concert and Festival.
Richard's wife showed me the flute that she had once played.
The end of it had fallen off after her husband repeatedly used it as a pipe.
I remember the delicious Sandalwood smell of their Volkswagen bus.

6. I met a hippie who traveled with his Afghan dog that had just one blue eye.
They also traveled in a Volkswagen bus, but this bus had a surfboard on its top and a pair of longhorns on the front.
The hippie showed me a copy of
Siddhartha.
(I didn't learn everything in college.)

7. A five-dollar bill fell out of a book of mine.
I had forgotten that I had stuck it inside the book.
It must have been there for a year.

8. I (tried) to throw bales of hay onto the tall bed of a truck.
I and a couple of other guys would be paid with a drink, French fries, and a hamburger.
We ate our lunch, but we didn't do any more baling that day.
This was the most difficult work I've ever (tried) to do.

9. One early evening on Guam---the sun had just set---I was talking to a neighbor.
I was going to say, "There wasn't a cloud in the sky", but there were in fact a few, and they were slow-moving, and so low that you could almost touch them.
It was very quiet.
Suddenly a large beam of light shined through one of the clouds.
I looked at my neighbor and asked,
"Did you see that?"
"Yep", He replied.
"What was it?", I asked.
He just shrugged his shoulders.

P.S. If I think of any more I'll come back and add them.

Mad Plato

IT'S THE OIL STUPID!

I'm back today (September 26, 2009) to add something new to #5 (and I may have written about this somewhere else).
One night Diane, Richard and Little Richie (which makes me think of Little Richard) left me at my apartment (I think I rented this particular room for only a week).
They left, heading up Boulder's Baseline Road, going up the mountain (whose name slips my memory at the moment).
I heard their Volkswagen bus engine humming.
I sat down against a tree in front of my apartment building, and began crying, and calling out Diane's name, saying "Diane...Diane...come back...please come back!"
Minutes later I heard that bus engine humming again, but this time the bus was getting closer and closer, and Richard quickly pulled up and abruptly stopped, and Diane swiftly opened the side door of the bus and said, "I heard you calling my name."

Oh, and the guy that I was sharing the room with was the same guy who lied about his leg in #3.





No comments: