Sunday, May 19, 2013

ON KISSING


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Just the word kissing smacks of sweetness (or of something I can’t quite describe).

*

We all have done some kissing.

Some kissing was better than other kissing.

Sometimes the taste was good, sometimes bad, and sometimes terrible.

Sometimes when we kissed it felt awkward.

*

We have to learn to kiss.

Babies don’t automatically start kissing.

Of course, we don’t learn how to kiss in school.

We learn in the school of life.

*

Sometimes we speak to dogs as though they can kiss.

We say: “Come here rover, give me a kiss.”

But all we get is rover’s slobbery lick.

*

Eskimos use their noses to kiss.

Do they get fewer colds?

*

My memories of kissing are quite good.

I remember when I first kissed Kathy Marker.

We were in second grade.

We were inside a little dog house when we kissed.

It felt scary, wonderful, mysterious…and forbidden.

*

When I was in third grade I remember when large Mrs. Blackman picked me up and gave me a big, slobbery kiss. 

It was gross.

She was wearing some very dark lipstick.

The taste was the grossest part.

I still remember that taste.

*

My mom wasn’t a big kisser, and I’m grateful for that.

But my aunt Marilyn, boy, did she like to kiss.

 

*

 

Martha Doris and I kissed on a train all the way through the tunnel at Denver’s Lakeside Amusement park.

I think Martha wanted to go one more time, but I said that I was out of breath.

*

I kissed Mary Ann Meyers one time on Prom night.

The theme for the prom was noli me tangere:

 Touch me not.

Boy was I a puritan back then, and a Catholic to boot.

*

I wasn’t afraid of germs when I kissed.

The germs would just have to take a back seat, so to speak.

The kissing is what counted.

*

I kissed my first cousin Linda when we sat in the back seat behind her mom and mine at the outdoor drive-in theater.

The movie took a back seat to our kissing.

I think both moms knew, but they didn’t say anything to us.

*

Well, I’ll just kiss and say goodbye.

 

IT’S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: