Monday, September 04, 2006

HAPPY LABOR DAY

Labor.
Birth, occupation, task, and work are some of the synonyms in Roget’s Thesaurus.
There’s a labor of love and love’s labour’s lost.
I like Dylan Thomas’s use of labor in his poem IN MY CRAFT OR SULLENT ART.
Here is the first half of the poem that contains labour.

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.

I labored this Labor Day weekend.
I was working hard at winning on one Keno machine.
I spent five hours of labor and $300 of my hard-earned labor until I hit 6 spots.
I had wagered the maximum bet of $1.00.
I had labored for so long, that when I finally got what I had been laboring for, I blinked when the last number lit-up to make sure that I had finally gotten the reward for my labors.
I know that I wasn’t really working. But the IRS thinks so.
I will pay for my winning numbers this tax year. However, I don’t think it’s fair.
All of the money in that machine was filled with money that had already been taxed once.
Citizens labor hard for their dollars, and we shouldn’t have to pay taxes twice for the labor we have already done and paid taxes for.
We should get paid for Labor Day, too.
Happy Labor Day!

No comments: