Saturday, September 16, 2006

MORE READING BETWEEN THE LINES

It's always a pleasure to be introduced into the Rose Garden.
(It’s those nasty thorns that I hate.)

I was so honored to meet with… first responders…all who still had heaviness in their heart.
(And asbestos in their lung.)

Right here in the Oval Office, I get briefed nearly every morning about the nature of this world…

(And I learn how messed up nature has become.)

Time is running out.
(And so am I in 2008.)

We didn't ask for this war.

(But I decided to give it to you anyway.)

This debate is occurring because of the Supreme Court's ruling that said that we must conduct ourselves under the Common Article III of the Geneva Convention. And that Common Article III says that there will be no outrages upon human dignity. It's very vague. What does that mean, "outrages upon human dignity"?

(Does that mean that we can’t almost drown our enemies? Or zap their gonads with electricity? To avoid prosecution of any war crimes, we have to be specific about what our interrogators can and cannot do.)

I must say, having gone through those gyrations, you're looking beautiful today, Dave
(Maybe we can touch base at dinner later.)

There's no doubt in my mind we needed to make sure the Patriot Act was renewed to tear down walls that exist so that intelligence people could serve -- could share information with criminal people.

(So that intelligence people could share information with criminal people? Did I just hear myself say that?)


"The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis of our fight against terrorism. To redefine Common Article 3 would add to those doubts. Furthermore, it would put our own troops at risk."

Colin Powell

No comments: