Monday, April 15, 2013

LEAVE THE EARTH


 






One thousand years and counting.

Just enough time to leave the Earth and live somewhere else.

If we start now.

This is the good news.

My hunch is that it can be done much sooner, but I won’t brain wrestle with Stephen Hawking over this one.

[http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/14600-hawking-earth-doomed-without-further-space-exploration/]

*

The bad news is that we may blow each other up well before then.

After that a new ball would get rolling.

A new leaf would be turned.

(Which reminds me of

)
 

Back to square one.

The earth would still be here, just not its brilliant humans---at least not the large numbers of them that exist right now.

Even Moses…I mean Charlton Heston…before he had his rifle glued to his hands…indicated his disgust at what humans could do:

“…we finally really did it. [screaming] YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! (camera pans to reveal the half-destroyed Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand).”

[From Planet of the Apes (1968), a film by Franklin J. Schaffner.]

Albert Camus came right to the point:


 


 

I include some notes that I took many decades ago that I believe are also relevant:
 
 
 
 
Here are some lines that I wrote decades ago that will add to the somber theme:
 
 

Last Appeal


Atomic madmen
You dancers
Of doom
Leave my Earth
Go live on the Moon
Leave my universe
Atomic madmen
You don't scare me
Boom.











Time Capsule
    
The cold machines from earth
Travelled as far as they could
And travelled empty paths
Through endless spaces
Filled with myriad stars and
Galaxies
For one thousand years.

It didn't matter, after all,
Since life on earth as men
Had known it was gone
And the men, the intelligent
Knowers and machine-lover makers
Had also disappeared.

The sun never felt a thing
And God remained inside
His big laboratory quietly thinking
About what to do next.







 
 

IT'S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES!

 



 

 

No comments: