Sunday, December 24, 2006

THE SOFT DOWN OF MANHOOD

I'm growing my beard again.
Or as my Shakespeare professor said to me many years ago (when I was working as a humble dishwasher):
"Oh. I didn't recognize you with your facial hair."
My philosophy professor had one of those almost pure white beards.
Such beards make me think that the life and soul of the beard-bearer has been a pure one.
Not too many persons have said to me,
"Ah. You're growing a beard!"
And so I haven't given my usual retort:
"No. It grows all by itself!"
There's nothing worse than a man with a beard who's trying to be funny.
Here are some beard quotes that I like:

"Chins without beards deserve no honour." (Spanish proverb)
"A beard signifies lice, not brains." (Greek proverb)
"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man." (Shakespeare)

People have been calling me Santa Claus lately.
I guess that's a compliment.
I don't know how long I'll keep my beard this time around.
But it's getting long enough now to be more than just facial hair.
I guess my beard is
growing on me after all!



IT'S THE OIL STUPID!

No comments: