Tuesday, April 11, 2006

ROCK ON GERIATRIC MINSTRELS

I remember the Grateful Dead concert I went to back in the early seventies.
It was held at the old stadium in Boulder, Colorado.
The Dead threw out baggies of pot.
This was just before it started to rain.
The band then sang a song (I forget which one) that mentioned the sun and rain.
I didn't pay much attention to the stage or the musicians.
I just listened to the songs.
I was thinking about this concert (one of just a few I have ever attended) when I pictured in my mind Bob Dylan and the aging members of The Rolling Stones.
They're still touring...wheelchairs and all!
I was going to take my wife to the Bob Dylan/Merle Haggard concert here in El Paso.
Price: $131.00!
I'll buy some more of his CDs instead.
I'm a big fan of Dylan's lyrics.
His voice of many colors.
I've gone to see him twice.
Indoors and outdoors.
Wearing my shades and not wearing them. I even brought him a rose in a vase with a card.
Years later I was stunned when I saw the cover of
SHOT OF LOVE with Bob leaning over and smelling a rose.
I thought, "There's my rose!"
Of course, that was wishful thinking.
But I still feel good when I see that photograph.
One morning I woke up in Rocky Mountain National Park. I was "attending" one of the Rainbow Family's Great Peace Gatherings.
I woke up when a dog passing by licked my face.
Then a fellow a few feet away said “Good morning. What's your name?"
"Monty”, I told him.
"That's my name too. I used to cook for Bob Dylan."
Small world.
Bob and Mick are now grandpas.
And I hope they’re still playing when they're 85.
That will be some sight to see.
Rock on, boys!

No comments: