Tuesday, April 01, 2008

READING BETWEEN THE HOPS

THIS IS AN

EXTREMELY ABBREVIATED SCRIPT OF

Joint Press Conference with Prime Minister Kevin Rudd of Australia

East Room

March 28, 2008


PRESIDENT BUSH:

Thank you all. Please be seated. Thanks for that rousing ovation.

(THE KANGAROOS CAN SIT DOWN NOW, TOO)

(Laughter.)

Mr. Prime Minister, welcome. Sure glad you're here. And, Therese, thank you for joining us, as well. Laura and I are thrilled to welcome you here to the White House. And I appreciate the opportunity to visit with a leader of one of America's closest allies and friends. And one thing is for sure, that friendship will strengthen and endure under the leadership of Kevin Rudd.

(WHO REMINDS ME OF A CUDDLY LITTLE KANGAROO)

I have found him to be a straightforward fellow.

(EXCEPT WHEN HE’S HOPPING AROUND)

Being from Texas, that's the way I like it.

I also want to thank you very much for being a good, loyal ally on Iraq. Obviously the Prime Minister kept a campaign commitment, which I appreciate. I always like to be in the presence of somebody who does what he says he's going to do. You know, oftentimes politicians go out there and they say one thing on the campaign trail, and they don't mean it.

(I AM REMINDED OF MYSELF WHEN I SAID IN 1999 "I'm a uniter, not a divider" AND ON October 11, 2000 WHEN I SAID, "I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called nation-building. I think our troops ought to be used to fight and win war."

(UH, I GUESS I MEANT WHAT I SAID ABOUT HOW TO USE OUR TROOPS…HUH, HUH)

We're going to have a good lunch, too, and we'll continue our discussions on a variety of subjects. He's a easy man to talk to.

(I BET LAURA’S GOING TO CHEW ME OUT FOR NOT USING THE CORRECT ARTICLE)

I appreciate his visions.

(I ALSO APPRECIATE MY OWN VISIONS)

I particularly appreciate his consultations on China. He's an expert on China -- it's clear when you talk to him, he is an expert on China.

(HE ALWAYS CARRIES AN EXTRA PAIR OF CHOPSTICKS WITH HIM)

PRIME MINISTER RUDD:

Thank you. Thanks very much, George, and it's a pleasure to be here in Washington, with my wife, Therese.

(AND MY TROOP OF KANGAROOS)

President Bush:

Thank you for coming. I've enjoyed it.


IT'S THE OIL STUPID!

No comments: