Saturday, June 14, 2008

STUFF IT!

There are three things to remember when teaching: know your stuff, know whom you are stuffing; and then stuff them elegantly.

Lola May


The high school where I teach English is in
Texas.

Most of my instructional time is consumed by preparing students for the TAKS [Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills].

Creativity and the Curriculum are sacrificed in the dust and toil of time, endlessly preparing students for the TAKS.

THE LOVE OF TEACHING AND LEARNING---

FOLLOWING AND IMPLEMENTING A CURRICULUM---

HAS BECOME:

PRACTICTE TESTING!

PRACTICE TESTING!

PRACTICE TESTING!

I have just moved to another classroom for the third time at my school.

I spent five days boxing my “stuff”.

The school year had ended, but I knew that I wanted to box all of the “stuff” so that it would be easier for the custodians to move my “stuff”.

My “stuff” includes a lot of books (naturally), but also a huge volume of worksheets that I have made.

These “teacher-made” assignments reinforce and evaluate skills in the curriculum, or what are known as Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills (TEKS).

My principal visited me today, the final day of my packing.

He suggested that I get rid of my “stuff”.

But, you see, my “stuff” is the labor of twenty years in teaching---here and abroad.

I value the “stuff” that I have created.

And if I didn’t spend so much time “teaching the TAKS” I could use more of my “stuff”.

The principal also pointed out that I should get rid of my “stuff” because it is a fire hazard.

Then he said,

“Next year we have to be stricter because of our TAKS scores this year.”

STANDARDIZATION!

UNIFORMITY!

CONFORMITY!

STAY ON THE BEATEN PATH!

ADJUST!

TEACH THE TAKS!

NO MORE STUFF!



IT'S THE OIL STUPID!

No comments: